When putting precious or sensitive items into a storage facility in Plymouth, MA, you shouldn’t just use any regular unit. Temperature, humidity and air quality can wreak havoc on items like documents, photos, leather and wood, and can even have an effect on non-volatile items if they are being stored for a long time. In these instances, you’ll want to use a climate-controlled storage unit.
Climate controlled storage is a way for you to store items that may degrade in fluctuating temperatures so that they remain undisturbed and in perfect condition. If you haven’t heard about climate controlled storage rental in Plymouth, MA, here’s a quick guide to what it is and when you might need it.
What climate controlled storage is
Climate controlled storage in Plymouth, MA is a system that controls the temperature, humidity and air quality of an individual storage unit. By controlling these variables, users can store items that would otherwise be affected by moisture, such as art, electronics, instruments, photographs and more.
Storage facilities that offer climate controlled storage rental in Plymouth, MA will typically use central heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, dehumidifiers and insulation to maintain the proper temperature and moisture levels in the air.
Refrigerated dehumidifiers, also known as mechanic dehumidifiers, use refrigerant to remove humidity and are the most common in these spaces. Some storage facilities will use desiccant dehumidifiers that use a drying chemical substance to remove humidity. Desiccant systems are much more energy-efficient, but can be less effective at controlling more extreme humidity levels.
What should be stored in climate controlled storage
Not all items need to be climate controlled, but there are a number of important items or mementos you’ll want to keep in a climate controlled storage unit rather than a traditional unit:
- Delicate fabrics: Humidity can cause mold or mildew to grow on fabric, including clothing, children’s toys or upholstered furniture. Delicate fabrics, in particular, should be stored in climate controlled units to prevent deterioration.
- Electronics: Electronics like computers and speakers can corrode if exposed to high levels of humidity. A storage facility in Plymouth, MA that controls the climate of its units will keep your electronics in perfect working condition.
- Vinyl records: Records can warp if exposed to too high of temperatures, and crack if stored in too low of temperatures. Always store records vertically in sleeves, if possible, and use climate controlled storage to maintain their condition.
- Documents: Paper can turn yellow, fade or deteriorate in humid and hot conditions. To prevent damage, make sure documents stay in protective coverings or boxes, and utilize units with temperature or climate control.
- Antique wood furniture: Wood can contract in cold temperatures, which may cause splitting or cracking. High humidity levels can also cause the growth of mold and wood rot. To avoid these issues, keep all antique wood furniture, as well as musical instruments, in climate-controlled storage.
Do you need climate controlled storage in Plymouth, MA? Call A Plus Storage Corporation! We provide storage units in a variety of sizes, as well as indoor, outdoor and drive-up units. We also sell moving materials like boxes and bubble wrap. Give us a call today!