Whether it was while moving, downsizing or simply swapping out your summer décor for your holiday décor, you’ve probably made use of a storage facility in Plymouth, MA for storing your home goods. Finding ways to pack and store your belongings safely and efficiently can be a challenge, particularly if it’s something fragile such as dishes. Dishes require special care and attention when you’re storing them. If you are looking to pack and store some of your dishes this winter, here are a few useful packing and storing tips you can use:
- Packing materials: Choosing the right packing material is essential for keeping your dishes safe. If you want to save money, recycled newspaper makes a good packing material. For a little added peace of mind, you can invest in bubble wrap or packing peanuts. If using paper or bubble wrap, the best packing method is to place each individual dish at the corner of the sheet and wrap the dish diagonally, folding in the ends. The heaviest dishes should be placed on the bottom of the box. You should also fill any empty spaces in the box with packing material as well.
- Storage bin: Because dishes are fragile and often heavy, you will want to use a storage bin that is stronger than your traditional cardboard box. Plastic storage bins can be a great, affordable option. If you are willing to spend a little more, you can purchase wooden crates or dish barrels, which are specifically designed for storing dishes.
- Storage tools: Don’t forget the other tools you need for storing dishes, besides packing materials and bins. Be sure to use tape to help properly seal your storage bin. You should also have tools for clearly marking what is in each box; a marker or label maker will do.
- Storage facility: The safest place to store dishes is in a climate-controlled storage facility. Frigid weather, fluctuating temperatures and high humidity can take a toll on certain types of dishes, particularly fine china and vintage items. Be sure that you store your dishes off the ground, and preferably away from the walls of your storage unit.
Now that we’ve covered the basics, here are a few other tips that will help you in your packing:
- Buy plenty of boxes to avoid overpacking
- Line the interior of cups and glasses and place them rim down
- Place similar dishes next to each other, either in a nesting or stacking style
- Place extra padding in the bottom of your storage bin and on top of the dishes before sealing
- Place plates on their side
By following these few tips, you can keep your dishes safe and in mint condition no matter how long you keep them in storage. If you are looking for a climate-controlled storage facility in Plymouth, MA for storing your dishes and other house goods, call A Plus Storage Corporation. We offer safe storage facilities in a variety of sizes and at affordable prices. To reserve your storage unit, give us a call today!
Categorised in: Storage Facility