Storage units can add a lot of convenience, especially for people who need to free up some space in their home. Of course, if you do decide to rent a unit, it’s important that you know exactly what size you need so you can avoid wasting money on one that’s too large for your needs, or forcing yourself to cram your belongings into a space that’s too small.
So, how do you know what size storage unit you’ll need? Here are some general guidelines to keep in mind while you’re choosing a storage unit in Plymouth, MA.
Storage units generally come in pretty standardized sizes that can range from tiny to quite massive. Here’s a sampling of some of the most common storage unit sizes and what they’ll fit:
- 5’ x 5’ (25 square feet): These smaller storage units are generally only meant for small, personal items—you won’t be placing any furniture in here. It’s pretty much the size of a closet. You might be able to get a twin bed in here, but it’s probably best used for off-season goods, outdoor recreational gear or tools.
- 5’ x 10’ (50 square feet): These storage units are sufficient for excess items from a one-bedroom apartment. You should be able to fit in a queen-size mattress set, dresser and television, or up to 15 boxes of décor or clothing.
- 10’ x 10’ (100 square feet): This storage unit will generally be sufficient for excess items from a one-bedroom home or two-bedroom apartment. You’ve got more room to play with here—the average bedroom measures 10’ x 12’, so think of this as being enough space for a full bedroom. You can cram two bedroom sets into one of these rooms.
- 10’ x 15’ (150 square feet): Storage companies generally recommend this size for people with two- to three-bedroom homes.
- 10’ x 20’ (200 square feet): This size is ideal for fitting a significant number of items from a three- to four-bedroom home. When choosing between this and the previous option, your choice really comes down to how much of a minimalist you are. If you have a home that’s full of items, or if you just want to give yourself a little more space to work with in your storage unit, the larger size is probably the better bet. You should be able to hold three bedrooms’ worth of furniture, plus dining room furniture and entertainment sets, in the larger size.
- 10’ x 30’ (300 square feet): This massive storage unit is ideal for storing items from a five- to seven-bedroom home. The vast majority of people will never need a storage unit this size, because it is simply gigantic. You should be able to fit the contents of four or five bedrooms, plus dining room sets, entertainment sets and numerous boxes of personal items. This is the kind of unit you’ll likely only use if you’re moving a large house and need temporary storage.
For more information about choosing a storage unit and to get other storage unit size tips in Plymouth, MA, contact the team at A Plus Storage Corporation today with your questions.
Categorised in: Storage Space